Common Mistakes in Bidding with Tina McVeigh
Continuing her popular series of Common Mistakes in Bridge, Tina McVeigh will guide you through the most common bidding mistakes she has seen her students make again and again over the years and teach you how to avoid making them yourself.
Tina McVeigh is one of New Zealand’s most acclaimed bridge teachers, who has represented NZ as a member of the national women’s team. She travels frequently, teaching bridge to both new and experienced players within NZ and overseas. Her Christchurch bridge club, House of Cards, established in 1999, is renowned for its high-quality teaching. Tina’s unique teaching style is fun and highly interactive. Included lessons:
- Who is the boss? Hand 1: Are you the boss of the auction or is your partner?
- Who is the boss? Hand 2: You have barely enough points to make a bid at all. Do you promise more strength every time you bid?
- Be Competitive!: Are you sometimes nervous about bidding? Worried about breaking the rules?
- Law Raise: What do you think about after your partner makes an overcall?
- First Response: Do you sometimes make a bid specifically to show your points? Maybe you can give partner more information.
- Double, No Trouble: As the auction progresses, you discover more and more about partner’s hand. Don’t forget to re-evaluate your own!
- Misfits: Ask yourself whether your hand has improved during the auction.
- Wrong Game: It is so easy to focus solely on your own hand. Try to visualise partner’s hand as clearly as possible.
- To Force or Not?: Be wise and consider what you know about partner before you make a bid.
- Tell the Truth!: What do you think is the most important? Telling partner about your points or your shape?
To answer some of the questions some of you have emailed me:
- These ten lessons feature 5⁓10 minute videos and are pre-recorded. You are able to watch (and re-watch) them whenever you like.
- A new lesson will be unlocked for the class, twice a week.
- Enrolled students can leave questions and comments for Tina in comments under the video.